Over 20 years in the self storage business in Canada has taught us a lot at Instant Storage.
We hope our informative moving checklist will help make your self moving experience as efficient and hassle-free as possible.
Two to Four Weeks Before Moving:
1. Purchase packing supplies (we sell a great selection of U-haul packing supplies).
2. Start packing household items as soon as possible.
3. Send change of address forms to anyone who regularly sends you mail.
4. Ensure all insurance and insurance transfers are in place.
5. Order new personalized cheques and mailing labels.
6. Obtain copies of school and medical records.
7. Rent moving vans or arrange for movers. Inquire about our U-haul moving trucks.
8. If renting a high-rise apartment, make arrangements with your landlord for elevator rental.
One To Two Weeks Before Moving:
1. Notify utilities, cable and telephone companies for both disconnection and hook-up.
2. Discontinue newspaper.
3. Return borrowed items including library books and make sure to pick up things you have lent out.
4. Make arrangements for the safe disposal of items you won’t be moving, including old medications, paints or other hazardous materials.
Two To Seven Days Before Moving Day:
1. Make arrangements for child and pet care for moving day.
2. Finish packing.
3. Empty and defrost fridge and freezer.
The Day Before Moving Day:
1. Everything should be packed and ready to load except bedding.
2. Pick up food and beverages for moving day.
1. Have babysitter care for children.
2. Strip beds and cover mattresses with mattress bags.
3. Off you go!
If your move includes placing household items in mini storage for a period of time, consider the experts at Instant Storage. With locations in Edmonton, your self storage items will be kept safe and secure. Contact us for more information and good luck with your move!